Thursday, January 8, 2009

I'm a GENIUS - Oven Baked Risotto

Sometimes it is easier to cook while the little soups are out of the house. Especially since Little Miss loves to be in the kitchen with me and it makes me super nervous to open the oven with her in a 20 mile radius.

Earlier today, I roasted a chicken (see roast chicken link for the details). I let it cool on a plate and strained the pan juices skimming off most of the fat. I then took the skillet I used, put it over med/high heat put in some olive oil and 1/2 of of large onion to saute. Once it got nice and translucent, I added in 1c of arborio rice and let it toast for a minute or two. I deglazed the pan with about 1/4 c of vermouth. Once that cooked down, I put in 3c of stock (about 1 from the pan juices plus 2 more from my stock stash). I let it come up to a boil, slapped a lid on it an put it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

My house smells like someones Italian Granny has moved in and has been cooking all day. Reality: 10 minutes of prep time TOTAL on my part...and a great chicken and rice dinner waiting for the family when they get home.

No comments: