Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Teaching Charlie to Make Turkey Gravy

We have a regular Monday night dinner party we go to hosted by our good friends Charlie & Ana. This week, in honor of the holidays, we all put together a huge turkey dinner with all the goodies.

Ana did the turkey in a plastic bag. I've never see this done, but MAN was that turkey tender, juicy and delicious.

Mr Soup was carving the bird when Charlie realized that no one had thought of gravy. Since we didn't really have time to do a serious effort - I taught him how to make a fast and tasty pan sauce. It was nice and light and perfectly complimented the turkey.

What we did:
I was holding Little Miss Soup the whole time because she is in her mamathon phase where she doesn't want ANYONE else...but Mama Soup. So, I had the interesting opportunity to just boss someone else around. Charlie is a very nice bossee.

I had him take all the juices that were in the bag and put them in a large measuring cup then place it in the freezer to make the fat rise to the top faster. In the mean time, we melted a stick of butter in a large skillet and added a chopped onion, salt, pepper and a shake or two of poultry seasoning. I had him throw in a handful of flour and we made a nice roux. Meanwhile, I was able to skim the fat from the juices. We first added about 1c of white wine to the roux, then poured in the drippings. In about 10 minutes time - we went from NO gravy to a simple pan sauce that was a total hit. I need to have a bossee on a regular basis from now on. It was fun!

No comments: